After 7 years of our brand and website, we felt the outdated look did not reflect the cutting edge work we were doing, so it was time for a change.
With the relatively recent release of Drupal 8 there was no better time for a complete overhaul, so I set to work. But before any website design or build could begin it was important to rebrand the company fully so this could be carried through and be consistent throughout.
We released the new site and branding at the same time a few weeks ago. This series of articles talks through...
Once upon a time, we wrote an article about how to render fields on their own in Drupal 7, which was really handy because Drupal 7 wasn't always intuitive. It's common to want to display a field outside of the context of its main entity page, like showing author information in a sidebar block or in a panel, but you had to just know which functions to use. Drupal 8 has come along since then using 'grown up' things like objects and methods, which actually makes the job a little easier. So now we have this:
If you don't have access to the file system on the server for a Drupal site, when a security issue like Drupalgeddon2 comes along, you are entitled to panic! Many sites are run by a combination of teams, so sometimes you really don't have control over the server... but that might even mean there is another way to apply fixes. If you've been tasked with updating such a site (I was!), it's worth checking if the server has been misconfigured in such a way to actually allow you to patch Drupal, via Drupal!
Drupalgeddon2 happened! We got all but two of our projects updated within an hour, with those remaining trickier two fully patched another hour later. The key was planning the right process using the right tools. We actually use these tools for regular deployments every day, but speed was essential for this security update. Here's what we did, since some of you may be interested.
Our on-call developers split up the various sites/environments/projects that would need updating amongst themselves, using a simple online shared spreadsheet.
Ahead of time, we prepared pull requests for sites that simply use Drush make files...