Core web vitals - how to debug and improve cumulative layout shift (CLS) issues

11th Nov 2020

TLDR : Check your cookie popup!

It seems everyone is talking about core web vitals at the moment, spurred on by Googles’ recent announcement that page experience (which includes core web vitals) will start influencing search ranking in May 2021.

We won’t go into detail on web vitals in this post - there is plenty of information already on the web, including from Google themselves on the excellent web.dev site.

Instead, this post will look specifically at cumulative layout shift - or CLS as it’s known. I like to think of this as the jerkiness measure of your site -...

Read more

Reflecting on Drupal Slack

27th Oct 2020

Over the last year or so, I've got quite engaged with Drupal slack. I've loitered in channels like #d9readiness and #config, discussed issues with members of the security team, and asked questions to module maintainers (and received answers!). But most of all, I've helped people out in the #support channel. This has been an interesting experience in many ways, so I thought I'd share my reflections. The Drupal slack workspace is intended for the community, so if you're reading this - it's probably for you too. Hopefully my thoughts might help prepare you to use it as an effective tool.


Ultimately, I've got...

Read more

Rendering fields in Drupal 9 (the right way)

Part of the series
Upgrading to Drupal 9
28th Jul 2020

Many of us at ComputerMinds have always taken pride on doing Drupally things the right way whenever possible, and then helping the community do so too. One of these things is displaying values from fields on content entities. We wrote before about how to do this in Drupal 7 and Drupal 8. It's now the turn of Drupal 9! Thankfully, this updated version is basically the same as the last one, as D9 is very similar to D8 on the surface, but with old cruft ripped out to allow it to continue improving. So the short answer to "How...

Read more

A recipe for editing & translating over 100 fields

14th Jul 2020

I recently released a new contributed module to aid translation on Drupal 7 sites: Entity Translation: Separated Shared Elements Form (ETSSEF). Yes, it has a convoluted name! It finally resolves a suggestion from years ago in an Entity Translation project issue, to allow editing untranslatable fields separately to translatable ones. One of our clients has a multilingual product database site with a few hundred fields on their content, so anything like this that could reduce the size of their editing forms is useful. I figure the best way to demonstrate this is with a recipe that blends it together...

Read more